A Tired Heart
Dear people of Grace, Holbrook, Pine Creek and Shields Valley,
As I sit to write this, I realize that my heart is tired. The news cycle this week is wearing me out. The world feels very chaotic right now. On one level life is good. My family is healthy. My work is fulfilling. You all are a source of encouragement. God feels near. But on another level…chaos swirls all around me, tossing me this way and that. As I reflect, I am reminded of a verse in Hebrews 6:19, “We have this hope as an anchor for the soul.” Whew. I need that. I need an anchor to keep me secure. To keep my soul tethered to God. To renew my spirit. The good news is I have an anchor in Jesus! We have hope in God. God is with us and will see us through this chaotic season. If you are feeling bashed around these days, look to Jesus as an anchor for your soul. Here is a prayer I found that will guide me in my devotions written by Laura Jean Truman:
“God, keep my anger from becoming meanness. Keep my sorrow from collapsing into self-pity. Keep my heart soft enough to keep breaking. Keep my anger turned toward justice, not cruelty. Remind me that all of this, every bit of it, is for love. Keep me fiercely kind. Amen.” Hold on to hope.
SERMON SERIES AND DAILY SCRIPTURES
We continue our series on the beatitudes. This week, “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness for they will be satisfied.” We will be reflecting on what we are hungry for and how we find fulfillment. Our daily scriptures for this week can be found here.
· Holbrook Harvest Dinner Take Out this Wednesday, Oct. 14, drive into the parking lot between 4:30p-6:30p and pick up meals for $10 each ($5 for children).
· We heard from the UMCOR Depot in Salt Lake City that they are down to 2 pallets of Cleaning Buckets, so it is good timing for us to be collecting. Bring donations to your church by NEXT SUNDAY Oct. 18th. We are collaborating with all the UMC’s in Montana. I’m looking for people who can help me haul our donations to Bozeman UMC by the end of October.
· Advent Devotional We will be publishing an advent devotional this year written by all of you! I invite people to write a paragraph or two about what a scripture means to you. Upper Room style. I will have a list of scriptures and themes. Let me know if you are willing to write.
· E-Giving: We’ve set up electronic giving on our website for each church. If that is a good option for your donations, go to www.MethodistsOnTheYellowstone.org and click on the “Give Online” button. It is simple, safe, and convenient. Or, you can mail your donations to your local church, or to the Parish at 302 S. 9th St. Livingston, MT 59047.
· Weekly Worship We have two Sunday worship options: online with Zoom at 9 am and in-person at Holbrook UMC at 11 am. Each of us must assess our risk and our needs and determine what is best. Zoom log-on info is below. If you are coming in-person, please wear a mask and honor social distancing.
o Weekly worship continues indefinitely on Zoom on Sundays at 9 am. Sign up for our weekly email to get the Zoom information.
o Hymns and Prayers: Join us for a mid-week pick-me-up on Thursdays at 7 pm. on Zoom. Sign up for our weekly email to get the Zoom information.
o Meaningful Conversations: Join us on Wednesdays at 11 am on Zoom as we learn together about the history of race in our country and how we can be people of inclusion. Sign up for our weekly email to get the Zoom information.
The Lord Bless you and Keep you!
Park County United Methodist Ministries
Just a place for some easy messaging. Feel free to comment!